EIPH y La Super Caliente

Public Health logo

FB Logo


Do you need an interpreter?
Free Interpreter
Interprete Gratuito

Drug Overdose Prevention Program

Opioid misuse is a problem in our community. If you or someone you know is misusing opioid pain killers or illegal drugs such as heroin or fentanyl, call 211 to get help or visit 211.idaho.gov.

In 2019, there were 134 deaths in Idaho related to overdoses involving opioids.

Table 1. 2019 Drug Overdose Data

*This dashboard provided by the Idaho Drug Overdose Prevention Program, Center for Drug Overdose and Suicide Prevention and Suicide Prevention, Division of Public Health Idaho Department of Health and Welfare

For more data and information, please click here to visit the Idaho Opioid Data Dashboard.

What are Opioids?

Do you know what’s in your medicine cabinet or drawer? Prescription opioids come in many different forms from the pharmacy including syrups, pills, and patches. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about the medications you’re taking.

Opioid pain medication is addictive. Make sure you’re taking the medicine as prescribed. Talk with your doctor about getting the correct dose and available alternative treatment options.

Store opioid medication in a safe place: out of sight and out of reach of visitors.

To learn more about and request a free Vaultz prescription medication lock box, click here. (link coming soon).

Dispose of Unused Medication

Unused prescription medications left in the medicine cabinet may be taken or misused by others. Dispose of all unused medicine.

Click here to find a presription drug take back location near you.

To learn more about and request a free Deterra Drug Deactivation pouch, click here.

Do you know how to recognize an Opioid Overdose?
Call 9-1-1 immediately and look for any of the below symptoms:

Opioid Education and Naloxone Training
Eastern Idaho Public Health provides information and presentations to community members and organizations about the current state of opioid use in Idaho, safe storage and disposal of prescription opioids, illicit opioids, opioid overdose warning signs, availability of naloxone, how to administer naloxone, and Idaho’s Good Samaritan Law. Presentations include overdose recognition and demonstrations of nasal naloxone.

To schedule a training or for questions, call Mallory Johnson at (208) 533-3221.

Get Naloxone (also known as Narcan®)
On July 1, 2015, Idaho’s law allowing easier access to naloxone went into effect. Since that time, significant progress has been made in educating prescribers and pharmacists about the new law and their roles in it. Many pharmacies are now stocking naloxone and prescribers and pharmacists are becoming more knowledgeable and comfortable recommending and dispensing the medication. The next step is getting this life-saving drug into the hands of those who are in a position to assist a person at risk of experiencing an opioid-related overdose.

In Idaho, anyone with a valid reason can ask for a prescrition for naloxone from a physician, physician's assistant, nurse practitioner, or pharmachist. The naloxone does not need to be intended for your own use. Someone who administers naloxone to a person who appears to be experiencing an opioid overdose is legally protected by Idaho's Naloxone Access Law and Idaho's Good Samaritan Law.

Naloxone for Organizations
The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (DHW) administers naloxone grants to organizations in Idaho. DHW's naloxone request form can be found here. For questions, please contact: Naloxone@dhw.idaho.gov

Schools, YMCAs, and public libraries can request free intranasal naloxone through Narcan® directly. For additional information, click here.

Naloxone for Individuals

Individuals with Idaho Medicaid can get naloxone for free at the pharmacy. The individual with Idaho Medicaid, family, or friends may request a prescription at their local pharmacy. Bring the Medicaid number and patient name with you. For a list of pharmacies in you area, visit EIPH's resource list or DHW's service and resource list.

Soldiers of Hope in Bonneville County will provide naloxone to individuals free of charge. If interested, please contact Kathy Chin at (208) 357-6220.

Idaho Harm Reduction Project (IHRP) also distributes nalozone to individuals. If interested, please contact IHRP, idahoharmreductionproject@gmail.com or phone (208) 991-4574.

For more information about opioids, please visit:

Additional Resources:

  • Idaho's Response to the Opioid Crisis (IROC) Wallet Card: This wallet card lists substance use recovery telephone numbers.
    • Click here to access a PDF version of the IROC Wallet Card.
    • Click here to request a wallet card be sent to you or your organization.
  • Eastern Idaho Community Resources: Resources include substance use recovery resources as well as housing, employment, financial aid, food assistance, and more.
    • Click here to access the Eastern Idaho Public Health Community Resource Asset Map.

For more information, please contact:
Mallory Johnson
Health Education Specialist Senior
Drug Overdose Prevention Program Coordinator
(208) 533-3221

Return to Health Education Main